The success of your kitchen remodeling project depends on the kind and quality of the materials you will use. With so many different options available on the market, distinguishing superior materials from substandard ones may prove difficult. If you go to a trusted supplier like Rotax Metals, however, you have a better chance of finding high-quality copper sheet metal and other building materials.
If you are looking to enhance your kitchen surfaces, perhaps improve both its aesthetics and functionality, you might want to consider using copper sheets and plates. These materials are perfect for applications that involve exposure to water and moisture. Activities in the kitchen, such as dish-washing and cooking, are notorious for causing splatters on the walls around the sink and on the countertop.
Splashes of water and other liquids may seem trivial at first but overtime they leave stains that could pose even more serious problems. For instance, the stains and grease might later become a breeding ground for bacteria and algae, which may carry diseases into your home. Installing copper sheets and plates as backsplash and countertop cover is your best bet to address all of these concerns.
Why is copper a good countertop shield and backsplash material?
You have three goals when using copper sheet on your countertop and backsplash—to slow down deterioration, to keep surfaces clean, and to enhance your kitchen’s appearance. Copper’s amazing properties allow you to kill these three birds with one stone. Having an incredibly high corrosion resistance, copper is expected to hold up to constant wetting and griming for many years. While it may eventually lose its sheen, this metal won’t develop rust like steel and iron do.
Copper also has antimicrobial properties. Like a few other non-ferrous metals, it is capable of producing the oligodynamic effect, which is capable of killing various species of microorganism. The kitchen sink can be particularly dirty, especially when dregs are allowed to sit for more than a couple of hours. It’s a good thing your copper backsplash can effectively sanitize itself. This is not to say that you can already neglect proper sanitation practices, especially that certain bacteria may grow immune to the oligodynamic effect.
When it comes to appearance, copper does not disappoint. Its reddish luster can give your kitchen a whole new level of elegance and modernity. If you want a brighter and more classic theme, you might want to use brass instead. This copper alloy consists of copper and zinc, which at the right combination could produce a gold-like feature. Your family will be thrilled to see their kitchen embellished with golden cladding.
How to Install Copper Sheets and Plates
While it’s advisable to leave all delicate construction work to professional builders, it doesn’t hurt to learn a thing or two about installing copper sheets and plates as backsplash and countertop cover. Here are a few tips you can follow.
- Determine the gauge of the copper sheet you need. For this kind of project, a thick gauge—16 mm or 22 mm—is usually the ideal choice, considering that the copper sheet will be used for utilitarian purposes.
- Copper sheets usually come in standard cuts so you might need to cut further to achieve the exact size of material you need for the backsplash or countertop cover.
- Backsplashes are usually attached to a solid board before being installed on the backsplash. The underside of the backsplash is adherent to cement, which is why this layer is essential to the setup.
- When it comes to the countertop cover, you may be looking at a temporary installation. So instead of doing what you did with the backsplash, you might want to simply use a thick copper plate that can safely be installed on the surface of the countertop without using cement or without having to damage the base material.
- To preserve the luster of your copper, spray lacquer on its surface. The lacquer serves as a protective layer for the copper not to fade too quickly.Buying your materials from a reputable supplier increases your chance of success. Considering how important your kitchen is to your family’s daily life, it’s only reasonable to invest a little more in its improvement. If you still don’t know where to buy copper sheet metal products, try narrowing your choices by comparing their establishment, experience, and product reviews.